The city of Baden-Baden

Evidence of settlements can be found at the time 10,000 BC, but especially with the Romans, who loved the hot springs of the settlement, get Baden-Baden to its importance from 80 AD and thus is one of the oldest cities in Germany. Count Hermann II, from the house of the Zähringer, acquires the area around Baden-Baden 1102 and calls himself Margrave of Baden and builds the Castle Hohenbaden. Baden-Baden receives its town charter 1250.
In the course of history the city get the residence of the Catholic line of the margraves 1535 after splitting the margraviate of Baden, which after the extinction of the Catholic line was reunited 1771 with the Protestant line of Baden-Durlach. The city remains a district capital for the entire surrounding area.
During the war of Palatinate Succession Baden-Baden was burned down by French troops at August 24th 1689 (see photo) so that we have only a few sources of family history from the time before. End of the 18th Century Baden-Baden is discovered as a fashionable health resort. Many stately guests make the spa to the "summer capital of Europe" next to the "winter capital” Paris. There arise luxury hotels, the casino (1810-1811) and the Kurhaus (1821-1824). International horse races are organized since 1858 in Iffezheim. Until 1931 the name of the city is only Baden, than Baden-Baden.

Location of Baden-Baden

Coat of arms of the city Baden-Baden

In the magazine "Die Badische Heimat" [the home of Baden] of 1938, there is an article by Alex Oetling-Kappler called "Die alteingesessenen Familien von Baden-Baden" [the old families of Baden-Baden]. On pages 262 and 270, there is baker named Casper Krust mentioned who was a baker in 1545 and a member of the baker's guild in Baden-Baden. Further clues of the Krust family must be searched in the documents of Baden-Baden in the Generallandesarchiv Karlsruhe [General Archives of Karlsruhe].
1689 the city was burned down by the French army and most of the deeds were destroyed. Therefore the church books with entries of the family start at the end of the 17th century.
At the starting point of the church book there are two families but their relationship could not be evaluated from the church book:
1) The well known supporter of the coat of arms, Jacob Krust, a butcher, who according to the marriage record of his son Johannes, dies before Feb 7, 1696. (Today's Krust Family of Baden-Baden originated here.)
2) The winemaker, Johann Jacob Krust, who died on April 5, 1700; his grandchildren died childless.
According to the home town the family is mostly Roman Catholic.
We assume that the family Krust came frome the area of Bretten to Baden-Baden in the 15th century. A part of the family moved to Mannheim at the end of the 19th century, another through Worms to Hamburg. Helen Krust emigrated to Florida, USA.

City fire of Baden-Baden 1689